2016 was a year my heart needed. It was the best year of my life. New friendships arose, David and I communicate better than ever and my soul feels lighter. Self growth was the biggest theme of 2016.
Last year, David and I spent New Year’s in the city my heart feels most at home, New York City. I could honestly say those were the best seconds, hours, days of my existence. New Year’s is my favorite holiday and truthfully, no amount of alcohol or dancing could compare to this time last year. So we stayed in this year. We popped fireworks for the first time in my life. I was like a little kid in the candy store and mannnnn this candy store was lit, pun intended.
I woke up that next morning with a shit ton of thoughts. My mind is constantly on 19472385023702385027. Ask Zoe, I’m not the best listener. It’s not that I don’t care what others have to say, I’m just really trying to sort all my damn thoughts. Here’s a list of New Year’s Resolutions or things I’m changing or goals or whatever the hell it is, here they are.
- Write More. I’ve been thinking about this whole Tuesday/Thursday schedule I put myself on and holy moly it’s hard as hell to do that with all the nonsense I have going on right now. Tuesdays are perfect for me. But there are times, like today, when my heart just needs to vent and waiting for Tuesday or Thursday just doesn’t cut it. So I’ve decided to keep my Tuesdays and instead of Thursday, it’s now Friday. There’s something about Friday nights. So for now on, Tuesdays and Fridays are my days dedicated to writing. And maybe even another random day because I mean why not? My love for writing happens randomly, so just know I’ll no longer hold back a paragraph because it’s Monday.
- Use the internet more effectively. I literally have the world at my fingertips. I can take classes on pretty much anything, I can learn a new language, build my vocabulary, find new statistics, new recipes, new ideas, hobbies, opportunities. Social media is wonderful, but I want to use my laptop for more than the “norm.” StumbleUpon is my new favorite app. Stumble is like Pinterest for the curious. You can go through every category and pick what you like and what you don’t like and read articles, watch videos, change yo life. I watched a video about hermit crabs the other day that literally blew my mind.
- Read more. I’m challenging myself. After I read the book, The Alchemist, my mind has been wanting more. I’ve decided to read a new book every month. Or two. Yesterday I hopped in Barnes and Noble. I literally asked the guy where I can find The Alchemist and found a book on the same table. (I’m a very “go with what ya know” kinda girl) On the same table The Alchemist was on, I came across, A Man Called Ove and I couldn’t put it down. I tried hard man, those sales were so real and this baby was regular price. No matter how hard I tried to force myself to like the other, A Man Called Ove wouldn’t leave my hand. I started it last night and I’m already in love with the book.
- Complete the 30 Challenges to Enlightenment. A couple of months ago David told me about this ridiculously crazy set of challenges. Did I say RIDICULOUSLY CRAZY BECAUSE IT’S RIDICULOUSLY CRAZY. Watch the video, browse through the link, tell me what you think. I’m on day 2 of the first challenge and life.. life is interesting. 30 Challenges To Enlightenment
- Change up what I listen to and what I watch. I drive quite a bit. I live in San Marcos but I coach in San Antonio. I also hate being home. I literally live on 35. Yesterday I decided to download NPR One and just drive. I loved it. The older generations constantly remind me how “uninformed” millennial are and NOT ANY MORE! I’ve decided to be in the know for politics, things going on around the world and keeping my mind open to ideas older generations talk about. I learned quite a bit with my drive to and from San Antonio. I’ve decided for now on, on my new long car rides, NPR Radio is my squeeze. Also, I got rid of Apple Music and moved back to Spotify! My user name is Sydneymaigon so follow ya girl if you want to know what the heck I’m listening too! I’m on this new wave for pop music, (s/o Jabs) and all I’m gonna say is I’ve been missing out. Jabs and Gabe, I need your usernames lol. Ted Talks are my new wave as well. Instead of binge watching Law and Order SVU, I throw in a Ted Talk every other episode lmao. If you know any good ones, holla @ ya girl so I can watch too!
- Cook more. Me and Breakfast are freakin homies man. I just want to manage the other meals of the day. I want to be healthier and treat my body better. Also, the amount of money I spend on fast food could be used for traveling or more Lululemon lol
- Stop being so damn defensive. I’m always on the defense, simply because of insecurities. I have some amazing people in my life and even though they are savages, they love me and remind me constantly. I’m defensive when it comes to every damn aspect in life and I want to be better, I want to treat people that surround me better and try to understand them before I think they want ill intention. I’m flawed, I can admit that, I just want to be better. Be kinder, give people the benefit of the doubt, the same way I hope they would give me.
- Embrace new people. Everyone who is anyone knows I first hate people before I get to know them, S/O to you Peter lmao. I’m trying hard to change that. I want to embrace new people and get to know strangers I see randomly throughout the day. All I know is that Zoe said she has seen me on the bus times before but because I look so damn mean she never approached me. WE COULD OF BEEN BEST BUDS MONTHSSSS AGO?! THAT’S SOMETHING I NEVER WANT TO EXPERIENCE EVER AGAIN. Knowing I could of had an amazing friend like Zoe last year really helped me change my way of thinking. So here’s to new peeps, let’s be freakin homies.
- Take Certain words out of my vocabulary. Don’t, Maybe, It’s up to you. “Don’t.” I want to take this word out of my vocabulary because I use it far too much. “I don’t like that” and David always hits me with, “have you even tried it?” So goodbye to that word. “Maybe.” If I don’t want to do something or I do, I will let ya know. Maybe is for the wishy-washy and I don’t want to be anything like that. “It’s up to you.” I’m the worst at “where do you want to eat?” I now know how annoying that can be. (sorry David) If I want to eat Cane’s and David want’s Bush’s, we are picking up Cane’s and I’m eating it at Bush’s. (this really happened lol)
- Embrace my style. I freakin love thrifing. There have moments in time where I have put stuff back because peeps may look at me weird. My style has definitely changed. I’m a tomboy with a deep, deep love of flannels and oversized t shirts. I also want to do more fashion posts. Somebody out there loves flannels, leggings and oversized t shirts as much as I do. And to be honest, I think my style is pretty damn lit, so I’m gonna start sharing it more.
- Being more active. Dedicating at least one hour out of my day to working out. Yoga classes, spin, bouldering (wya jacob?!) hiking, etc. I want to be better to my body and that after workout feel is so amazing.
- TRAVEL EVERY THREE MONTHS. We leave to Houston in a couple of days but I’m talking about getting my ass outta this damn country. I want to travel somewhere new every three months. A new city, state, country. Colorado is calling my name for my birthday and ya girl can’t wait. There’s 59 national parks, and at least 10 must be seen this year. #JustWaitOnIt
These are some key things that hit home when I think of 2017. I hope to fulfill all of this greatness and much much more. So here’s to 2017 and the greatness it will bring.